Be our new Project Manager
We are currently hiring to a new position of Project Manager to work closely with our head of R&D, helping to manage projects across our growing innovation portfolio, and to bring a consistency to how we run projects across the whole organisation
Pure Leapfrog is a sustainability and decarbonisation charity that works nationally across Energy, Green/Carbon Finance, and Natural Capital. We are committed to helping support a Just Transition to a net-zero society, and use our combined skills in renewables development, economics, modelling, technology, social impact, carbon and finance to effect change.
This is an exciting time in Leapfrog’s development as we re-align ourselves to respond to recent and upcoming changes in renewable energy, climate action, carbon finance, regulations and policy. In response to these changes, and as part of our Innovation Programme, we are undertaking a number of funded energy innovation projects, developing new place based net-zero business models with a focus on social impact and the potential for social enterprise and alternative models of ownership and investment.
This is a new role, and as a Project Manager within Pure Leapfrog you will have the opportunity to help shape the project management function within the organisation to support current and future projects. We are looking for someone who will combine standard PM tools, frameworks and experience to streamline, harmonise and standardise the way in which projects are delivered within Pure Leapfrog.
Many of our projects are commercial or technical research and development projects into whole energy systems. There will be a particular focus on Project Managing our flagship £3m Rewire-NW project, one of Innovate UK’s ‘Detailed Designs for Smart Local Energy Systems’ projects. You will be working within the R&D team, reporting to the Head of R&D.
- Project management – Enhance and maintain the project management framework.
- Project Budget Management – Collect project spend and time data from partners and internally for reporting.
- Project Claims Management – Work with our Finance Officer to ensure timely and accurate claims are made to funders.
- Project Reporting – Collate information on project inputs, outputs, time and money from partners for reporting purposes. Monitor milestones and deliverables, holding partners to account, and anticipating issues.
- Project Progress & Risk Management – Update and maintain the risk register and monitor progress against forecast, updating the project plan.
- Stakeholder management – including project partners and wider project stakeholders.
- Coordinate with project Monitoring Officer and UKRI technical lead. Arrange Quarterly Review meetings with Monitoring Officer and help to prepare materials for them.
- Collaboration with the CEO and Head of R&D and project partners on delivering outputs.
- Exploring options to exploit project findings for new project or commercial opportunities.
- Review and standardise how all projects are designed, run and monitored throughout the organisation.
- Work with our Financial Controller and Head of R&D to align project cash flow with charity accounts.
- Contribute to the exploration and development of new opportunities and new bids.
- Support in response to government consultations and minor advocacy work.
- Contribute to companywide discussions on all areas of our work, and generally follow relevant sector developments, news and opportunities within the sustainability, carbon, and energy systems sectors.
We are looking for a committed and passionate climate aware candidate, who is self-starting, motivated, used to working as part of a broad team, driven by their work being impactful and beneficial to society. Someone who has a good understanding of the net-zero challenge and ideas on how to get there.
Who are you?
It is essential that you
- Have a degree, or significant career experience, in a subject that is relevant to our activities and mission – such as Sustainability, Engineering, Energy Systems, Economics etc.
- Are a strong project manager with a relevant qualification and at least five years’ experience.
- Have experience of managing multi stakeholder and multi partner projects, large budget projects (£1m plus), and working with national/supranational level funders such as Local Authority, Innovate UK/UKRI, Government departments etc.
- Are methodical, have an attention to detail, and take pride in your work.
- Are a confident and capable communicator – verbal and written, able to communicate with a range of stakeholders, from senior civil servants through to community members.
- Are a self starter, pro active, and goals & outcomes oriented.
It is desirable that you
- Have an understanding of project economics and finance, value propositioning and business modelling.
- Have a good understanding of energy technologies, markets and regulations and have some understanding of carbon mitigation, reduction, and offsetting.
- Understand what social impact is, and have an understanding of issues such as fuel poverty, economic deprivation and digital exclusion.
- Have above average MS Excel skills, and are willing to be stretched.
Job Type: Full time, permanent
Salary: Up to £40k a year
Location: This position can be flexible/working from home, but will also require UK travel for project, partner and team meetings (as covid restrictions allow). We hope to return to having an office base at some point in the coming year, which will most likely be somewhere in North West England – Liverpool/Warrington/Manchester tbc.
How to apply
Please send your CV, along with a covering letter detailing your relevant experience in relation to the duties described and explaining how you meet the overall criteria. Applications should be sent to email@example.com no later than 11am on 4th May 2021.
Please note: Only candidates eligible to work in the UK will be considered.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Please note that due to the large volume of applications we receive, only candidates shortlisted for an interview will be contacted. We will not respond to enquiries from recruitment agencies.